Now what, you ask? I understand that physical fitness is a critical element of my child’s well being and happiness. But how can I motivate them to get off the couch and get active?
The following tips can assist you in helping your child to make lasting lifestyle changes that will help to keep them fit and active:
- Limit time spent watching television and non-homework related computer exposure. Encourage your child to get outside, walk the dog, or help with chores.
- Turn family time into fun physically active times together. Take a walk, ride bikes or play a family game of soccer.
- Encourage participation in after school fitness activities and programs such as martial arts classes or community sporting events.
- Get involved in your child’s activities both during and after school. Help your child to channel their energy into positive activities that boost not only their physical fitness but also their self-esteem.
- Prepare healthy meals and snacks for the whole family and teach your child the basics of good nutrition by example.
- Help your child to find and try new activities. Help them to experiment with different kinds of sports or games until they find the things they love to do. Any kind of physical activity promotes fitness.
Above all encourage your child, and the whole family, to have fun! Physical fitness and good health are easily achieved through a balance of well established good habits like daily exercise, good nutrition and healthy social interaction.
Consider enrolling your child in a trial series of martial arts classes to see if might be a good fit for them. You’ll be amazed at the increase in their physical fitness level, self confidence and positive mental attitude!